Interested in a career shipping out after graduation?
Want to learn the shoreside operations of a U.S. Flag shipping company?
Apply for a Schuyler Line Navigation Company Internship!
About the Program
The U.S. Flag industry has a shortage of qualified senior licensed & junior officers who are keen to make a career in U.S. Flag shipping. Schuyler Line Navigation Company is interested in taking an active role in recruiting and training future mariners through our internship program. This unique internship opportunity would allow SUNY Maritime students to learn the inner workings of our shoreside operations and develop valuable relationships aboard the vessels and in our offices that will serve them well in their future career endeavors.
SUNY Second Class cadets would have the opportunity to complement their academic and shipboard experience with hands-on experience during the shoreside Internship Project and aboard one of our U.S. Flag vessels. Each year, we intend to offer two internships (one deck, one engine) but SLNC reserves the right to change internships to two deck or two engine internships depending on capacity.
Ideal candidates would include SUNY Maritime Second Class students with an exemplary academic record and a commitment to shipping out after graduation. Candidates need to either be U.S. Citizens or Green Card holders, hold U.S. Mariner credentials upon graduation, and eligible for secret clearance with the U.S. Government. In addition, the candidates must be comfortable joining a shipping union. The internship program is open only to SUNY Maritime students at this time. APPLICANTS MUST:
- Have applied to the SUNY Cadet Shipping Program
- Completed third class MUG tour.
- Completed requisite commercial cadet shipping courses.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
After completing an internship cycle, graduation, and licensing, SLNC may choose to offer a job to the candidate pending successful graduation/certification and training. Billets across the SLNC fleet will be offered through union employment and the company can provide guidance during the internship to assist.
Scholarship: SUNY Maritime students who are selected to participate in the Cadet Shipping Program aboard a SLNC vessel will be rewarded with a tiered scholarship. Students will be notified of their scholarship during spring of their sophomore year and initial funds would be received by the start of the junior year.
TIER 1: Junior Year
For their junior year, the selected interns will receive a $5,000 scholarship that will be deposited directly to the student’s account at SUNY Maritime.
Pending successful completion of:
- Annapolis Meet & Greet
- Cadet shipping aboard an SLNC vessel
- Successful evaluations
TIER 2: Senior Year
- Completion of a shoreside Internship Project which will occur between the beginning of junior year and senior year. This requirement will be individualized based on shoreside opportunities available during this period.
- Successful evaluations
Upon successful completion of the above requirements, students will be awarded a $5,000 scholarship to be deposited to the student’s account at SUNY Maritime by the start of their fourth/senior year.
**Please note that SLNC reserves the right to withhold the senior/fourth year scholarship if the student has not performed satisfactorily on any of the above items.
Applicants must apply to SUNY Maritime Cadet Shipping Program. When applying to Cadet Shipping Program, they will need to fill out the supplemental Schuyler Line Navigation Company internship application. At the start of the internships, qualified applicants must be:
- A SUNY Maritime student in their second year of study who has applied to the Cadet Shipping Program.
- Preference may be given to those enrolled in the Strategic Sealift Officer Program
The application requires the following components. Please be prepared to provide the following:
- A 100-word autobiography
- A short 500-word essay stating your objectives and expectations of a SLNC Line internship and how they relate to your goals. Please focus on your reasons for pursuing a career in shipping out and in the US Merchant Marine.
- A resume, to be uploaded as a PDF.
- Contact information for three references:
- Must include at least one previous employer and one professor from SUNY Maritime.
- Official transcript